AKA feel the ab burn!
This is an awesome deadbug progression I have been using with my clients recently.
It is a subtle tweak to the standard deadbug from last week.
That subtle tweak will hit your core HARD.
Essentially, you are isometrically holding the ab crunch position whilst doing the deadbug.
Again, with most deadbugs, the key is slow, controlled, quality movement.
If you just blitz through this exercise at high speed, you miss its effectiveness.
Key Teaching Points
- Lay on back with knees bent 90 degrees. Knees should be in line with hips, forming 90 degree angles between shins, thighs and hips.
- Raise arms straight up in front of body, directly over shoulders.
- Reach arms up towards ceiling and lift shoulders off floor a few inches. Maintain this through exercise
- Pull stomach towards spine to brace abs. Maintain this through exercise
- Breathe out and with control slowly extend fully and lower one leg until heel touches floor. Other leg remains stationary.
-Once heel lightly touches floor, reverse motion and bring leg back up whilst breathing in.
- Alternate legs.
- Important: Throughout exercise, do not allow lower back to arch up, keep spine in a neutral position.
This is my, mostly, Personal Trainer musings and information which I hope you'll find helpful!