Last week I showed you a mobility exercise for working the muscles around the inner thigh / groin / some hip.
This week, it is a stretch to target the butt muscles, more specifically the Gluteus Medius and the Piriformis to an extent.
The Gluteus Medius sits more at the top of the butt muscle and doesn't get much love.
Stretching it out in your warm up, especially if you're sitting all day, can relieve some tension in that area and go a long way towards reducing your chances of injury during a number of exercises.
• Start in press up position
• Bring the right leg up and across the body. Right knee should be near right arm and right foot near left arm.
• Right leg should be resting on the floor. Then lower the hips towards the floor.
• A stretch should be felt in the right hip.
• Hold for time
• Then return to the press up position and repeat with other leg.
To increase difficulty, either bring knee further across the body or press hands in to the floor and sit back more with chest up.
This is my, mostly, Personal Trainer musings and information which I hope you'll find helpful!