The floor press is a great alternative to the standard bench press exercise.
Especially if your shoulders or elbows are starting to feel a bit banged up from a lot of pressing exercises.
This is mainly because the floor press limits the range of motion you can put those joints through.
It's also useful alternative to know when you're number 15 in a queue of people waiting for a spare bench on a Monday night (aka International Chest Day)
The one key thing to note - Lower the weights to the floor WITH CONTROL as I would like you to leave the session with elbows and forearms intact!
• Lay with back on floor, knees bent and feet flat on floor. Abdominals braced
• Hold a dumbbell in each hand, with elbows approximately 45 degrees to body. Hands should be directly over elbows.
• Pull shoulders back and down and take a deep breath in.
• Breathe out whilst pressing dumbbells directly up above shoulders until arms fully extended.
• Breathe in whilst returning dumbbells to start position.
This is my, mostly, Personal Trainer musings and information which I hope you'll find helpful!